Calendar of Triumph!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Big day! Training Day!

Oh man, SO MUCH has happened between last week and this week. And not even a full week!  Since Thursday I've gotten so much amazing news, I still can't really process it all. Most importantly, I got an amazing new job! And it's a real job that pays real money that means real training that means TWICE A WEEK TRAINING!!!!! (whaaaa?!?!??????)

I was SO excited running to today's session (literally running, the maintenance guy was concerned I would slip and fall)  and I almost burst from excitement once I saw Jason to tell him the amazing news!!! I'm usually excited to train anyways, but today I was SUPER-DUPER excited!!! I think everyone in the whole gym knows that I have a new job and exactly how high I can jump, hahaha

Of course there will be some logistical things to figure out, like i don't work down the street anymore, so I can't train during the day, but the new place is only a few stops away so I can still go after work and it's not that far, AND Jason can train in the evenings again, so it works out perfectly!

This couldn't have come at a better time, it's a new year, it's a welcome change, and I'm just so energized and excited to start my new life. The past month has been a lot of hard work and tough decisions and most of it was completely out of my control, and I was a rollercoaster of emotions and couldn't focus on practically anything (this blog being one of the victims of my lack of attention)

But in the past week, everything I could possibly want has turned out in my favor, and I am savoring every millisecond of it, because it is so rare that life ever fits so perfectly.

So, once I came back down to socially-acceptable levels of enthusiasm, we were ready to start working out!

A whole lot of new things today, starting at the rack. J had a series ready for me, starting with an empty bar, then working up to 60lbs and then something even heavier than that.

I did (8 reps reps first, then 6 with the weight):
Deadlift
Row 
Clean
Overhead press
Squat
Good morning

....he had me up until 'good morning'. What?  Ok basically it's like a deadlift, but with the bar across your shoulders (like for squats). Sounds simple enough, except that means when you bend forward, the very heavy and weighted bar is across the back of your neck, so you have to have great form and control otherwise I bet you could do some serious and probably permanent damage. Especially if you're doing this yourself. This is why I have a trainer!

Next we did on another new thing, still with the bar, not the usual parallel-to-the-ground way, instead one end of the bar was braced on the floor, while I hoisted the other end around in front of me. Like a standing, over-exaggerated Russian twist, and I'm sure there's a real name for this but I'll call it the heavy stick swinging thing. I didn't really 'get it' until J said to use my core, and then it all made sense why I was doing this (oh yeah my core, that thing)

Next we moved up front to the training area (with a slight detour to gather a few bells) and J had me finish the session with:

2x25lb bells:
Clean and squat - 10x3  ugh.
25lb snatch - 25 each arm. Ugh ugh.
50lb bell - 10 swings each, 2x.
Meanwhile the only other people there today were practicing knife fighting skills, and it was hilarious (in the cool way, not the ridiculous way)

Finally stretching! And my left side is insanely tight, like ridiculous. Like I actually really need to do yoga, seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment