Calendar of Triumph!

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Weekend training!

Aargh I was halfway through writing up today's post and then it got deleted. Blah.

That is yet another example of the craziness that has been this week. Quitting my job was more work than the 8 years of actual work I put in while I was there!  After a week of unravelling myself from the office, I fully intended to spend Friday night cleaning the apartment and packing in preparation for my whirlwind trip to see family. Instead I fell asleep within minutes of arriving home (lights on, TV blaring, I was OUT), which left me a mere two hours this morning to do all the laundry, clean all the dishes, take out all the trash, and pack everything for my two leg tour of the east coast.

And get the gym by noon.

I made it there by 12:07, suitcase packed and in tow. I fortunately had the insight to be already dressed in my workout gear so all I had to do was slap on my sneakers and I was ready to go. Jason watched in calm amusement while I burst into the gym and scurried around getting ready to train.

By the time I caught my breath and was ready to focus, it was only 12:15, and I was definitely already warmed up so we actually had a pretty normal session.

We started easy with squats. I worked my way up to 185! Jason was a meany pants and made me do math to count how much weight was on there. 135, plus 50, uh 'one, uh' (five six seven eight) 'eighty uh five?' Yeah? Oh, yeah!! Haha! I'm fifteen away from 200!

After maxing out my brain power, we moved on to pullups, starting with the inside grip. I made it almost to 5 by myself, but my shoulder started getting pinging pains, so Jason did his magic stretching and it started to feel better. But then I had to do the rest as regular pullups and they are so much harder!

We finished the session with 20lb dumbbells and squat to presses. And the  uni-wheel of abs, where I start in a forward bend, roll out to plank, and roll back in.

I admittedly got very distracted by this point because we had moved in front of a TV that was blasting breaking news of a mass shooting at the Columbia Mall in Maryland, which is exactly where I am traveling to TODAY.

"That's where I'm going! That's my mall!' I yelled. I went to that mall almost every day in high school, and I'm staying just down the road from there this weekend. It was not (and as of now is still not) entirely outside the realm of possibility that I may know someone involved, so i definitely had only half of my attention on what i was supposed to be doing, but J was good at keeping me focused. 

(I called my family as soon as i was done to make sure they are okay --they are--so just hoping for the best and definitely sad for the victims and their families)

No comments:

Post a Comment