Calendar of Triumph!

Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday training - march madness begins

Today was legs day. Undeniably, unmistakably, LEGS day.  Mind you, my legs are still sore from last week's legs day (squatting 205lbs, what what!), not to mention my 'fun run' yesterday (it was just so nice out for the first time all year, I couldn't come up with an excuse NOT to run outside)

Regardless, none of that factors in to training, by now Jason is immune to my futile attempts at being lazy. So we started with the usual walking warmup, with an added bonus of walking with the rubber tube strapped to my ankles. Because my legs don't already hate me enough (little did they know what was coming up )

Then we got into the workout, skipping straight over all the usual kettlebells and going straight for the red bell, I think it's 50 pounds, and you almost never see people using it, not even the guys. So of course that's what I start with! Swings of the two hand AND one hand variety (Oof), followed by step-ups (with two 20lb dumbbells), and then push press (with same said dumbbells). And repeat that a few zillion times.

While I was finishing that set, Jason disappeared to the side, only to return holding the ends of the biggest loser rope. D'oh! I know I have to do those later this month on my own and if tonight is any indication, it is probably not going to look nearly as cool as it does on TV. Regardless, I pumped away trying to keep the wave going. (sidenote, if you ever find yourself in a moment that you wish would never end, these ropes are a great way to make 20 seconds feel like 20 minutes!) At least my legs got a break while my shoulders did some work.  Then it was right back to legs with box jumps. But I like those, box jumps are good. I can do box jumps, and even land pretty. Thanks to my childhood devoted to ballet and landing like a butterfly, 'not an elephant'. Hah

So, by now it seems like we've done a lot of stuff, and it's almost time to go, and surely we'll end with a cool down or abs or some sort of stretch and I can go on my merry way, yes?

Sure, all I had left to do were just 10 bodyweight squats and 15 jumpsquats. No weights, nothing crazy, it SOUNDS simple enough, but as I was about to learn, there was a catch. there's always a catch. so here's the catch. I had to hold each squat for ten seconds, then in theory go straight into jumps. The first five squats were alright, the last five squats were not so happy. The jump squats were PURE EVIL. I literally had to catch my breath halfway through, KEEP GOING despite my legs burning infernal flames of agony, and collapsed immediately upon completion. It took all of me to get up and do that shit a second time. I think Jason's crazy is getting worse, and it's starting to rub off onto me!

The last thing I remember was rolling from the fetal position onto a mat that materialized next to me and then laying there for about a minute before I realized that Jason wasn't even in the room.  (He had left to go find a towel. Triumphantly he returned, towel in row, and stretched my poor numb legs while I giggled uncontrollably due to my unfortunate pain-reflex of laughter)

No comments:

Post a Comment