Calendar of Triumph!

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Buzzfeed clean eating challenge: Day 1

It's Day 1 of the Clean Eating Challenge, and here is what I did today!

Breakfast: Kale and Banana Smoothie


This was a pretty basic smoothie, and much more minimalist than my usual protein-packed version.

I made my own almond milk by soaking almonds the day before and blending a 1/2cup of raw soaked (skinned) almonds with 1 cup water. One tablespoon of almond butter, a drizzle of honey, and frozen kale and bananas, and I was ready to start my day!

Delciousness Level: eh, I mean it's kale, but you FEEL clean just drinking it, so that's a win.

Lunch: Asparagus Salad with Arugula and Fried Eggs


Lunch was an adventure. I admittedly don't cook full meals as often as I should, mostly because it is such a chore and I hate it.  By the time I start cooking, I'm so hungry that I need food NOW and lose patience for ridiculous time consuming things like 'simmer 2 minutes'. Bah. Yet, despite my revulsion toward even the most minimal culinary effort, this salad came together surprisingly painlessly. From prep to final assembly, I was eating within 30 minutes. (Read: for a normal person, it would probably take much less time)


I made a few alterations from the recipe. For example, I didn't bother shaving the asparagus, I just chopped it into small pieces. I also minced the shallots into teeny tiny bits so that I could cook them into mush and wouldn't notice them in the salad (I really hate onions and onion type things, it's weird, I know it, but it's who I am and you'll just have to accept that).


The last thing to finish the salad, that I would probably change next time, is to fry the eggs. It just seems like a really greasy thing to add to an otherwise clean  salad, so I would probably hard boil or poach them instead.


The assembly was easy peasy, just toss everything together and put the egg on top.  The last alteration I did was add hot sauce to the eggs, because we are civilized in this home.

Deliciousness Level: pretty delicious! The heat from the asparagus slightly wilts the arugula to take off some of the edge, and the lemon juice adds a nice fresh zip to the whole thing (and I didn't even notice the shallots at all).


Snack: Carrots and Hummus


A solid snack. The 'recipe' says to cut the carrots into sticks, but I mean, come on. Why bother.


Dinner: Roast Chicken with Kale and Quinoa


Since this is considered a prep day for other meals this week, tonight's dinner took a bit more effort and multi-tasking than just one meal's worth. And with all that work, what I ended up with actually doesn't look too far off from what I usually eat. Just...less, and with more ingredients. Go figure.

For substitutions, I almost completely changed the roast chicken since I already had boneless chicken breast in the freezer. I just baked it like I always do, and used my secret spice concoction in lieu of plain salt & pepper.

I cooked the quinoa exactly to the recipe, which involve an extra step of actually roasting the raw grains with oil before adding water.  I don't notice any difference, probably wasnt worth the extra effort and calories.


The kale was super easy, just simmer some water and steam the leaves for a few minutes. My kind of cooking.

For the orange vinaigrette I used rice vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, because I'm Korean and that's the kind of vinegar I have and I wasn't gonna buy a whole bottle of something I never use for a measly half-tablespoon. Psh.



It still came out awesome and delicious.

While I was prepping dinner, I also started the assembly of tomorrow's lunch and drained chickpeas and sliced up some fennel. I added the rest after the leftovers cooled down.

Deliciousness Level: very delicious! The dressing adds a subtle flavor that makes this interesting and yummy.

Snack (aka dessert): Pear and Almond Butter



Just like the carrots snack, this is super duper basic. And the 'recipe' says to slice the pear into a bunch of tiny sliver slices. I think we all know how that's gonna go down....it's not.


Tonight I also prepped breakfast, lunch and snack for tomorrow. I'm pretty tired after so much cooking all day, but on the flipside, I don't feel like a bloated whale, so I'll call this a success!


Here's a preview of tomorrow:


Want to follow along from the beginning? Start Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment