Calendar of Triumph!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 5: Buzzfeed clean eating challenge

It's the fifth day of the clean eating challenge. Now, you can accuse me of being many things, but a morning person is not one of those things.

I rolled out of bed, dreading to have to do  the unthinkable for the second day in a row: cook breakfast. 

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs


I didn't  actually have the cauliflower I was supposed to use for today's omelet since I skipped Tuesday's dinner. I couldn't find anything to sub in for the cauliflower, so I made a simple 3 egg scramble as the next best option. If there's one thing I can cook better than anyone, scrambled eggs is that thing. For one, there's nothing to chop and two (most important), it cooks up in two minutes (two minutes I could have been sleeping, but I digress)

Deliciousness Level: I mean, it's my own recipe, of course it's delicious!

So with breakfast out of the way, and no coffee in sight, I gathered up my things for the day (training tonight, woohoo!), and headed out for work. And came right back because I completely forgot to put my lunch and snack in the bag! See what happens when you can't have coffee, bad things happen.


Lunch: Chickpea Lentil Blackberry Salad


So, I combed over and reviewed the meal plan this week, because somewhere at buzzfeed HQ, someone is maybe not so good at math. I was supposed to add quinoa from Sunday's leftovers, except that I used it all for the previously prescribed recipes (as per their instructions. There was nothing mentioned about saving this magical extra half cup for today's lunch). Since I had too much lentils left over for dinner tonight I used the lentils in place of quinoa.

I also used blackberries instead of blueberries, since I have so many and want to use them while they are still fresh

This is a very protein heavy salad, and if I were to do this again, I would switch last night's dinner with today's lunch. I don't want to feel full in the middle of the day, but I do need to feel full at night otherwise I'll just keep snacking.

Deliciousness Level: hearty and delicious


Cheat Snack Attack!: Cup Cake!



We had a little celebration at work for a few people today which meant cake. A cake in the shape of a cupcake. And I and ate a piece. I made my choice, I have no regrets.

Deliciousness Level: Sugar


Snack: Carrots and Hummus



A classic snack, but again buzzfeed's counting logic alludes me. If I recall, we needed 7 carrots for this week, but so far I've had two snack of "4 carrots cut into sticks" and I'll have another tomorrow and will still need carrots for dinner coming up. So I've already surpassed the carrot quota. But fortunately I read ahead and just used one carrot for today's snack, I'll skip the carrot for tomorrow's snack, and have one carrot left for the dinner recipe. So when they say 4, they really mean 2. Maybe sometimes 1. So annoying.

Deliciousness Level: a classic favorite


Dinner: Tuna Steak with Green Beans and Lentils



This recipe calls for salmon, and as much as I LOVE salmon, I already had tuna steaks in the freezer, so I used those instead.  I also maybe misjudged how much two cups of green beans actually are, because it didn't look like very much cooking up in the pan, but even after I split the batch in half, the remainder barely fits on the plate!  I may not be able to actually finish this, which is groundbreaking.  The tuna came out a little tough, but I left it in the oven a little too long while I was getting the green beans ready. Next time, I would start the green beans first, because they actually took longer to cook than the fish!  The leftover lentils were still as mindblowingly delicious as ever, and definitely are the highlight of this dish (sorry tuna, you're pretty, but the lentils are a keeper).

Deliciousness Level: Filling and tasty!


Dessert: Air

No dessert for me, because I'm a cheating cheater who cheated.



I'll be prepping lunch tonight, as well as breakfast (woohoo!! no cooking in the morning!)

Want to follow along from the beginning? Start Here, then check out Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment