Calendar of Triumph!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Day 7: Buzzfeed clean eating challenge

Today's been a pretty lazy Saturday. I am absolutely exhausted after a week of the clean eating challenge. I woke up at 7:30 (blergh), made a fancy breakfast, went for a run, and crashed on the couch for the rest of the day.  I made quite a few alterations to the meal plan today, because I'm going out later so don't have time to stand over a stove all night! I got things to do!


Breakfast: Poached Eggs and Asparagus


Breakfast was an adventure.  Even on Saturday, cooking first thing in the morning is not my ideal way to wake up. Still, today I learned a new skill, how to poach an egg! I was surprised at how closely this resembles an actual poached egg. In the photo you can clearly see which one was the first attempt. The second egg came out pretty good!  The asparagus came out okay, it was a week old by this point, so the fact that it was still useable was a miracle

Deliciousness Level: fancy looking


Lunch: Arugula Legume Salad


This was supposed to be a kale black bean salad, but I didn't have any kale left, and have too much arugula left, so that's what I used. I also didn't bother making yet another vinaigrette and used the leftover paprika yogurt sauce for the dressing, and threw in the remaining chickpeas while I was at it. It made for a pretty delicious salad! And was a nice way to recover from this morning's run

Deliciousness Level: filling and refreshing


Snack: Almonds and Pistachios
I had a couple handfuls of pistachios and almonds for a snack before crashing on the couch and taking a rare and elusive mid-day nap. Just a sign of how tired I am, I almost never can take naps! Naps are glorious, I wish I had stronger nap taking skills.


Dinner: Meatballs and Chili


I was going to try making the collard greens to go with tonight's meatballs, but since I had gotten them a week ago, they were pretty sad and wilted and turning a strange yellow color, so I decided to nix that idea.  I also did not want to bother making tomato sauce from scratch, especially since I have so much leftover blackbean chili left over from last night. I did venture into another new food item today: meatballs. I've never made meatballs before, so I don't know what the difference between this 'clean' version vs the real thing is, but I think for my first try these came out pretty well. I used flax seed meal instead of oats, and used oregano instead of basil.  Just mixed in the ground turkey, threw 'em in the oven for 15 minutes and they came out pretty good! They definitely taste 'clean', vs the usual greasy delicious meatball. But still pretty tasty, especially with the chili.  I'll probably try these again, but with more spices next time

Deliciousness Level: a little bland, but still very tasty!


Dessert: Dark Chocolate
I'll be out pretty late tonight, so it is still to be seen whether I'll end up having this or not, but I'm going to try to be good and not splurge while I'm uptown!


I survived 7 days of the clean eating challenge! Want to follow along from the beginning? Start Here, then check out Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, and Day 6

No comments:

Post a Comment