Calendar of Triumph!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 6: Buzzfeed clean eating challenge

It's Friday. The sixth day of the buzzfeed clean eating challenge. I survived a week without coffee. I am tired.

Breakfast: chia seed pudding


Ahhhhh finally back to a better breakfast. Anything that is made ready to go is far superior than anything needing to be cooked in the morning. The biggest flaw with this pudding is that it isn't truly grab-and-go since you have to add the pistachios in the morning. Pistachios that were supposed to be chopped, if I had remembered before the last minute running out the door. I don't know that they were really a great addition either, but I gave it a shot. I also didn't bother making almond milk and just used 1/2 cup greek yogurt and 1/4 cup water, and it came out just fine. I also didn't add salt to this, it seemed unnecessary. But who knows, maybe I missed out on something big. Oh well, it's too late to change it, and too early to care.

Deliciousness Level: the pistachios weren't really a good mix, but otherwise okay


Lunch: green bean salad


Another excellent pre-assembled lunch. Still not a huge fan of arugula, or making vinaigrettes, but as far as assembly, this was pretty simple. 

The vinaigrette by itself tastes pretty horrid. It's sour and bitter and I figured maybe my vinaigrette making skills have left as quickly as they came. But then I mixed it in with the rest of the salad and to my delight, it actually tasted pretty good! Something about this combination works, and it works it.

Deliciousness Level: surprisingly delicious 


Snack: Cucumber and Hummus


A twist on the classic combo. I could have cut up the 'cuke last night, but I chose to be lazy and test the limits of the workplace kitchen and put a plastic knife to the task. It worked out much better than expected!  I also just brought the hummus container instead of putting it in a nicer container because why bother.

Deliciousness Level: Crunchy and refreshing


Dinner: Black Bean Chili with Zucchini


Okay, so I've been humoring these unnecessarily extravagant meals all week, and at least they saved the chili for Friday. But seriously, after a massively long week the last thing I want to do, tired and starving, is wait around for a pot of beans to simmer for 45 minutes. So inevitably I was snacking on almonds and dates while I sat there waiting for the food to be ready, contemplating my will to survive another week of this. I'm starting to crack, the challenge is winning.


The preparation for this meal is actually pretty simple, I subbed a green pepper instead of red and used vine tomatoes instead of canned (I heard somewhere that canned tomatoes are supposedly the worst thing you could possibly eat, didn't want to risk it). Then just chopped everything up, threw it into the pan, added a little water, and let it simmer!


While the chili was simmering down, I whipped together the paprika yogurt and sautéed the sliced zucchini.  I was tasting all of the prescribed elements while prepping tonight's dinner and it was shaping up to be a pretty good meal. The yogurt has a nice zippy zing, and the chili came out perfect!

And then I put everything together. And it was awful. Maybe the worst thing I've ever eaten. The zucchini does not go with the yogurt, the yogurt does not go with the chili. At all. I will not make this again. And I'm supposed to save this for lunch next week? Yeah, no. That's not happening.

The best thing about this meal is that it's actually very filling. The worst thing about this meal is that I can't wash the taste out of my mouth.

Deliciousness Level: It's all fun and games, until you have to eat it.


Dessert: Blackberries and Pistachios


Gah! Maybe my mouth is just too tired to function tonight, or maybe it's been stunned by the traumatic chili yogurt incident. I like pistachios, I like blackberries. Put the two together and my taste buds keep waiting for something happy to happen.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to sleep it off and start over tomorrow :-/

Deliciousness Level: I guess two rights can make a wrong


No prepping tonight, I can make everything fresh tomorrow!

Want to follow along from the beginning? Start Here, then check out Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, and Day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment